• Hospitality internship program – USA

    • Apply Now


    • Culinary Intern working in 5 star resort in USA

      Hospitality internship | training program – United States of America

      Have you completed your Hospitality Management, Culinary OR Food & Beverage N6 Diploma OR have 5 years’ experience in the Hospitality Industry? Are you between 20- 33 Years old and hold a South Africa Passport? Then you qualify for this fantastic international Internship Programme in USA.

      Travel About is the registered agency in South Africa to pre-screen and process the applicants in Southern Africa for a recognised American Hospitality Partner, who’s main aim is to improve your hospitality career.  

      With Intern/trainee positions available all-around America, you will have the opportunity to gain valuable work experience while enjoying the American Culture, traveling, and experiencing new cultures. You will be taught the American techniques, methodologies in a on the job training whiles earning between USD 1500 and USD 3000 per month for a 12-month period.

      Do I meet the Requirements for the J1 Visa?

      • Between 20 and 30 years old (preapproval required for over 30 -33 years)
      • Matric or matric equivalent certificate
      • Hospitality, Food & beverage, or Culinary Full-time student or 2-year diploma graduate with some work experience
      • or 5 years’ work experience in hospitality industry.
      • Proficient in the English language
      • In good health and physically fit
      • A valid South African passport (or proof that you have applied for one)
      • Clear Criminal record

      What’s Included in the programme:

      • All processing costs in South Africa and the USA
      • Application, interview, and placement
      • Visa application assistance for DS-2019 (J-1 internship visa) for a 12-month duration with the America Consulate
      • Pre-departure orientation
      • Participant handbook and guide
      • Accommodation finding assistance.
      • Online Tax-back application assistance
      • Assistance and emergency service through the USA based partner for the full duration of the programme.
      • US SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) Fee of USD 220
      • Police clearance check
      • Courier fees if applicable.
      • Recruitment assistance in South Africa 1 month before returning. Assistance only, not guaranteed.

      What is excluded:

      • Required J-1 insurance for program dates on DS 2019 form. Cost of insurance is in addition and will be invoiced with program fees, Compulsory programme travel insurance. USD1.46 per day.
      • Insurance for dates in the U.S. outside of the dates in program as denoted on DS-2019 form. Participant is responsible to purchase insurance for any dates arrived before program and dates after program including 30-day grace period. Additional insurance will be provided by Travel About for the additional days required. 
      • Visa Application Fee USD 160 paid directly to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, plus passport couriers fees.
      • Return Airfare
      • USD 125 per month paid to US Sponsor while in USA for duration of programme.

      Application process:

      • Application process takes between 2-4 months to process subject to the applicant’s response time and providing documents and payment as requested.
      • After first payment, Travel About agent will assist with rewriting CV, collecting all required documents, and submitting professional application.
      • Once USA Sponsor receives the application, a Skype interview with the Applicant will be arranged. Once our host partner in the USA accepts your application, your next payment will be due.  
      • The Host Partner will arrange interviews with potential Host Properties for Job Interview.
      • After the Employment offer was given and accepted the Final payment will be required
      • DS-2019 will be issued, couriered to Travel About Office, and visa application will be processed. 
      • Final step is arranging Flights, Housing, Orientation, Insurance and giving applicant their Orientation Pack.

      Programme fees:

      • Application preparation: USD 100
      • Application and processing: USD 1000.
      • Job Placement: USD 800

      Frequently Asked questions:

      Do you have an option to avoid the USD 125 per month?

      Yes, you can pay an additional once off USD 800 at time of application and monthly fees will be waived.

      Do you have an option to pay the fees monthly while in USA? No, all fees must be paid before departing to USA. Some applicants do not complete the full 12 months therefore no repayment options apply.

      Why do I need to pay for this programme / Placement?

      The Programme / placement is a career enhancement programme offered by an accredited organisation in the USA recognize South Carolina Commission on Higher Education. This must be seen as further education and training within your field of studies / work. This is not a working holiday or seasonal working programme. Please discuss with your Agent for further information.

      Could I apply for shorter Period?

      Yes, you can apply for a 6-month internship, however no discount applies to programme fees.

      I have secured my own host employer. Can I still Apply?

      Yes! Please submit a copy of your resume, details of your host employer and training plan for pre-screening.

      I have already had a J-1 Visa. Can I get another J-1 Visa?

      Applicants who have previously participated in a J-1 program in other categories (Au Pair, Student, Work and Travel, etc.) may be able to apply for the J-1 Intern and J-1 Trainee Visa later, but this is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

      I am already in the U.S. Can I apply?

      No. Applicants must return to their home country to apply to the Intern/Trainee program. If you require a change of status from another visa to the J-1 Visa, we will not be able to assist.

      I have already done an Intern/Trainee program. Can I do the program again?

      To qualify for a new internship, you must show you have successfully completed the recognized course of study during which time you participated in your first internship program and you are now currently enrolled and pursuing studies at the next higher level of academic study [or now pursuing studies in a different field of academic study]. The new internship cannot duplicate previous training and must show you are learning new or more advanced skills.

      Interns/Trainees who have previously completed a J-1 Intern or Trainee Visa must wait at least two years before being eligible for another J-1 Trainee Visa. The trainee program cannot duplicate previous training and must show you are learning new or more advanced skills. This is required for all participants who have previously held a J-1 Intern or Trainee Visa and is not related to Rule 212(e), also known as the two-year home residency requirement.

      I received my degree from inside the U.S. Do I qualify for the program?

      To be eligible for the program, the regulations state that your degree must be earned in a post-secondary institution outside of the U.S. Therefore, your U.S. degree does not qualify you for the program.

      Can I have a second job?

      Under no circumstances are you permitted to seek additional employment or training while in the U.S., so please do not plan to rely on a second job to supplement your income. Working anywhere else besides your internship/training program location is strictly prohibited and is a very serious violation of the terms of your visa. Your program will be terminated, and you may not be allowed to return to the U.S. in the future if you violate this rule.

      Monthly check in and evaluation requirements?

      Check your email often and/or log into your account to adhere to the following mandatory requirements:

      Complete the required program evaluations, these will be emailed to you when they are due.

      Every 30 days you will receive a reminder to complete the monthly check in by logging you’re your provided account and share feedback and photos. Failure to communicate at least once a month, can place your program at risk of termination.

      If you change your address, you must notify USA sponsor within 10 days.

      May I travel outside of the U.S. during my program?

      Yes, however there are important procedures you must follow before any travel in or out of the U.S.

      What do I do if I have a problems or concern?

      In the United States it is an acceptable and professional practice to communicate with your employer openly. If any area of your cultural exchange program at your host property is causing you concern, speak with your supervisor or manager. We are here to help you navigate and resolve any problems that arise during your program. We will work with you and your employer to address the issue and assist in resolving the problem or concern.

      How do I file a tax return?

      More information can be provided at time of return.

      Are there classes involved?

      As a participant, you are automatically enrolled into a online global community, World Campus and have the option to earn the Hospitality Professional Certificate, “HPC”. The Hospitality Professional Course, which consists of online seminar and coursework, emphasizes the development of both professional and personal leadership traits needed to be successful in the hospitality industry and to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world. This certificate programs draw upon the knowledge, skills, resources and passion of the entire community and are recognized by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education.